Friday, March 4, 2011

OOOHHH What a long night...

It all started yesterday morning when DS woke up coughing. The cough was very deep and it sounded like he was loosing his voice. I watched him, like I normally do, to make sure everything is okay. We went to our friends and he played hard. Towards the end of our afternoon at our friends house he started breathing heavier and then wheezing. It kind of scared me but I was like I will just Vick's him up and put his humidifier on in his room at bed time and hopefully that will make him feel better.

Hi wheezing while just sitting was heavy before he went to bed. When hubby and I finally went to bed around 11pm hubby noticed DS was coughing hard and wheezing again. I went in there and he was very short of breath and it FREAKED me out. Obviously, it didn't sound right.

Hubby and I decided we needed to take our little boy to the hospital. I've done ER trip before with our little man but my hubby hadn't. He was such a concerned Daddy and wanted to make sure that DS would be taken care of. The whole car ride there our little boy's breathing go heavier and heavier.

We finally arrived at the ER, got admitted, and seen right away which is absolutely AMAZING. The ER Doctor was FABULOUS with the little man and so were all the nurses! It turns out my baby has croup. :( No good! They put him on a breathing machine first to inhale fumes that clear his wheezing up, then he got a shot (ick), and then the X-Rays to check out the lungs, chest, and neck. DS HATED with all his might the X-Rays. He fought us all tooth and nails. It was awful to see and I felt so bad for him. Daddy had to sit in the waiting room anxiously because only one parent was allowed in the X-Ray.

Good thing is that the little man has NO signs of pneumonia.

DS will feel awful for the next 24 hours and then his shot of medicine should start kicking the croups behind!

OH! A note to every parent from the ER Doctor. The BEST thing to help get rid of a child's croup is to let them play outside (not bundled up) for a little while in the cold. Inhaling the cool air is very good and a natural healer! :)

PROOF of ER visit. I had to wear the bracelet because our little man threw a HUGE fit when we got there!

6 comments:

•°•Brandy•°• said...

When I first started reading this post I was like "it's definitely croup" gosh my first son who's now 8 years old always got croup he ended up having to get an in home nebulizer with steriods (Orapred and Pulmicort).

I remember when he first woke up in the middle of the night with it. I was so scared because he was literally barking and his breathing was so horrible. Anyway, sorry for the ramble... I hope your son gets better soon.

SAHM and Marine Wife said...

Brandy: Wow your poor son! I couldn't image constantly going through that! I hope he doesn't again. Yes, it is scary seeing our babies having a hard time breathing and not feeling well. He had a fever on top of that too!

Brenna said...

Oh- that made me sad!! I have only had to take one of my kiddos to the ER once- for an insanely high fever... that is the worst feeling as a momma!!

Glad he will be feeling better soon and keep us updated!

allenaim photography and design said...

poor baby!!

Thanks for the tip on the cold air too...I wouldn't have thought that...

Shelly said...

What a night! I hope the little boy feel better fast.

Nora C said...

Aww, your poor lil man! I'm glad they figured out what it was right away. Hope he feels better soon!